Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Best Potato Soup Ever...Ever...Ever

There used to be this little privately owned restaurant/gift and coffee shop in Jeffersonville. They got so busy that they were able to move to the big town of Mount Sterling, on Maysville Street, which is the happening street to be on! For the life of me, I cannot remember the name of that place...

Anyway, I CRAVED the potato soup they served there. It was like no potato soup I had ever put in my belly. Now, I need to give a shout out to my momma. Her potato soup is yummy. I grew up eating and loving her potato soup, but (I hope I don't get spanked for saying this) the soup this little mom and pop restaurant served was "perfection".

A few years ago, they closed shop. I'm sure they economy took a toll.

Anyway, I began dreaming of that potato soup, I *needed* it. I began to lust after the potato soup, nothing could satisfy me. It was like a hole in my heart...ur, my stomach.

So my quest to recreate the recipe began. I made it several times and flopped, but with each try I tweaked and added ingredients, and to my utter happiness... it got better and better.

Now, I'm not claiming this is THE recipe. But it has got to be pretty close! So, I won't keep you any longer. This is the copycat recipe for the best potato soup I have ever put in my mouth.

The Best Potato Soup Ever...Ever...Ever

Ingredients

5 lb bag of red potatoes-cubed, leave the skin on
1 stick of butter
4 cans of sliced carrots-drained
1 qt of heavy cream
12 cups of chicken broth
2 cans of creamed soup (chicken, celery, or mushroom...your choice)
1 package of real bacon bits
1 cup of shredded cheddar
2 stalks of celery-diced
1 tsp of onion powder
1 tsp of parsley
dash of garlic powder
1/2 tsp of pepper
2 tbsp of all-purpose flour

Topping

bacon bits
shredded mild cheddar


1. Boil potatoes until tender, then drain.
2. Cook celery over medium heat with a pat of butter for 5 minutes, to soften.
3. Combine all ingredients and bring soup to a low boil for 5 minutes, stir several times during boiling. Then simmer on Low/Med heat for at least an hour.
4. Top with cheese and bacon bits.

**For a heartier soup, simply add more potatoes and carrots.

Now I have to cook in bulk, so be prepared to half this recipe or have company...or just over indulge and buy a new wardrobe in a larger size.

Much love,
from The Wooden Spoon (that's the name of my kitchen)!

1 comment: